Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Great Breakfast Challenge: Daybreak

Allow me to preface this particular post by saying that I did not have high expectations of Daybreak.  My wife and I had been here a few years ago when we were first moving to West Bridgewater and had a very poor experience.  Since then we have not gone back.  We decided to go back as part of the Great Breakfast Challenge, because we were trying to be fair to every breakfast place in town.  I am shocked and delighted to say that, this time, our experience was exactly the opposite.  Daybreak has become a real contender in the Challenge and we are very pleased to say that they will be making it to round 2.

Now on to the day.  We decided to park across the street at Market Basket because Daybreak's parking lot is not very conducive to a good experience particularly with a six year old.  When we went in, there was a sign to seat ourselves, my daughter choose a booth which she said had a very comfortable and cushy seat.  Our server, Cassandra came right over and asked what we would like to drink while bringing us menus.  She was back just a few moments later with coffee and chocolate milk.  The refills on coffee were plentiful and quick.  I drink my coffee quickly, and still never managed to finish a cup before it was refilled and reheated.  We were surprised that there was no children's menu for breakfast, though there did appear to be for lunch.

I ordered one of the specials, 3 eggs (over medium), bacon (extra crispy), sausage (well done) toast and home fries.  My wife ordered "The Flower", 1 pancake, 2 eggs (scrambled), bacon (extra crispy).  She was concerned that only 1 pancake might not be enough, typically she would get 2 but decided not to order an extra on the side.  My daughter settled on 1 chocolate chip pancake.

Again, the servers were on the ball.  Constantly circulating the restaurant with fresh coffee and refills.  They were very attentive, kind, and nearly flawless in their service.  I was extremely impressed.  Our food arrived, the eggs were perfectly over medium.  A tiny bit runny, but the liquid did not seep all over the plate, the bacon was perfectly crisp, and they had cut my sausage down the center to make sure it was well done.  The pancake, that my wife was concerned about, was Ginormous.  There was no need for a second since it was bigger than her head, yet it was still cooked perfectly all the way through, light and fluffy, no gummy dough even in the dead center.  The 1 chocolate chip pancake was too much for my daughter to eat.  I think she finished off about 1/2, but said it was delicious.

On to decor and overall appearance.  My daughter liked that the bathroom was around the corner near the front, she called it a little hideaway.  The restaurant was very clean and nicely laid out.  Pictures along the walls of art images were just a nice little touch, and the fact that the giant screen near the kitchen was set to scroll through nature images slowly, instead of being tuned to a TV channel made me quite happy.

Overall the score for Daybreak was a solid 41 out of 50, tied with Good Days on our score cards.  We were very impressed and will be back.

I am delighted to say that this experience was a far far different one from our first visit.  Thank you Cassandra, and the Daybreak for being a very pleasant surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment