Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Great Breakfast Challenge: Good Days

Okay, so I am a little behind on this one.  Good Days was last week.  That being said I am still going to blog it now, and then write up today's restaurant a little later in the day.  Good Days has been our go-to breakfast place since Anderson Farm changed hands and name, so in our opinion this was the restaurant to beat in the competition.  It certainly lived up to that standard based on the score cards.

We got up and moving very early on Saturday morning.  My wife and daughter had to go to a Girl Scout event and were supposed to meet the Daisy troop at 9:30 so we needed to be done by then.  GOod Days opens at 7 and we were there by 7:30.  The chefs had just gotten started for the day so the specials board was not up yet, not surprising given that it was the crack of dawn.  Bleary eyed I ordered my coffee, and my wife got French Vanilla, thus far this is the only breakfast place with a flavored coffee variety, making it a huge hit on the drinks category.  The first cups arrived and mine was quickly gone, our waitress had already taken our orders for breakfast, and didnt make it back with the pot as quickly as I would have liked, but on the plus side the coffee was good and the cups are decent sized so it wasnt a catastrophe, just not what I had hoped for, or come to expect from Good Days.  My daughter ordered the silver dollar pancakes, and chocolate milk, my wife ordered a combo breakfast including 2 eggs scrambled, 4 bacon extra crispy, and 2 pancakes.  I ordered the house specialty, Daily Double, which is two eggs (over medium), 2 bacon (extra crispy), 2 sausages (well done) and cinnamon toast.  It also came with hash browns.  I ordered a slice of the homemade blueberry loaf as well, since we have so far ordered a baked good as well as breakfast with each of our meals.

Service was quick and fairly attentive.  I wish they had been a little quicker on the coffee refills, but that is always going to be slower than I would like, based on the amount of coffee I tend to drink in the mornings.  On to the food.  Overall it was pretty good.  My wife said that her eggs were seasoned well, and the pancakes were fluffy and not too gummy.  My daughter loved her silver dollars.  I, on the other hand was not as pleased.  My eggs were over cooked.  They ended up over hard, no ooze of the yolks when the tops were broken, and the blueberry bread had been frozen and i believe microwaved.  I do believe that the bread was homemade, but it was not fresh,  the outside and edges were hot, but it was still cold in the center.  The flavor was good, but it probably should have been warmed on the flat top or in an oven instead, that would have heated it more evenly and not left it feeling like it had been frozen.  The homefries, bacon and sausage were perfect and the cinnamon toast was good, very flavorful.

Decor wise it had a 60's diner feel while still being large enough to seat lots of people.  The booths are big and comfortable, and the restaurant was clean.  There was 50's and 60's music playing in the background and my daughter was grooving to the tunes while we waited.  They also give paper cups full of crayons and paper placemats to the children to give them something to do while you wait.  A very nice touch I think.  Old pictures on the wall, gave the restaurant a homey and welcoming feel.

Overall Good Days is still the restaurant to beat.  If I hadn't experienced so many wonderful meals here over the past several years I might have been a little harder on them, but I have.  My family gave this an overall score of 41 out of 50.  Very Impressive Good Days.

Thank you for proving that we haven't been coming to the wrong place all these years.  Still the restaurant to beat in the Great Breakfast Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment